Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Curvy Barbie - Sporty


I knew I wanted to get one of these dolls as soon as they were announced. I also knew since she wasn't going to fit into regular Barbie clothes, I was going to get one of the sets that came with two additional outfits. This is why it took me so long to finally get her even though the first one that came out with blue hair was very tempting. A lot of them are very tempting, but since I don't have the money or the space to get all the ones I want I plan to limit myself to one of each.... for now!

I wanted a curvy one first since those were my favorites being that they are the most different ones from traditional Barbie. My two faves were the sporty one and the one with the emoji top (mostly because of the fabulous blue dress that one comes with, which truly shows off those curves). So I just left it up to fate and got the first one I saw in the store. I might still get the other one since having a Caucasian one and an African American one still fall under the parameters of "one of each". Rules were made to be stretched.

So here she is in the box, which btw was a pain in the ass to open. It's not an actual box to open. its the plastic glued to the cardboard and I mean GLUED. but look how cool she is!
And I like that her outfits are things I would actually wear!



And here is the back of the box showing her in her other outfits and some pics of four of the other  sets


Here she is in the outfit she comes in. A black dress with a turquoise net overlay, turquoise sandals, a white purse and a black cap. 


I was a little dissapointed that the net doesnt go all the way around but then it has this little detail at the back that makes it cute anyway.

And the best surprise by far was the hat. Usually I hate doll hats. Either they don't stay on properly, or they come attached with a million plastic thingies and if you ever remove them, the hat will never stay put again. So imagine my surprise when not even one plastic thingie! The hat stays beautifully on its own and you can even wear it backwards for a different look.






And while we are looking at a close up, isn't she pretty? I like her minimal makeup, it goes with her look and it also seems more like what a real person would wear. No need to wear glitter to work everyday. She does need her nails painted though.

She has a very cool hair color too. It's kinda brown I guess, with bright magenta highlights that made me think at first she has purpleish hair.

Its really nice and silky too and I'm sure the fact that it's so straight also helps the hat stay in place. I'm sure the curly headed dolls won;t be as hat friendly.


She's supposed to be sporty, but since she's my doll and I hate sports I'm going to take sporty to mean comfortable. She even has flat feet so she can wear comfy shoes! Another thing that makes her different and I love it.

I tried to get a good picture to show you her feet, but it was hard to hold the doll and the phone to take a pic and when I tried to set her down she would just not get into a good angle. But you get the idea.

She comes with blue sandals and bright pink sneakers so that's not exactly versatile. I'll be going on a hunt to find her a few more shoes so she can have options.

The problem with a doll that has different size clothes and shoes is that outfits will be hard to find. but then I think that's one of the things that will make her so fun, the challenge of finding stuff for her to wear.


I know at this point you are expecting the body comparisons and I agree I should have taken the pics, but my friend got me one of the petite dolls for my birthday and I haven't opened her yet. I want to do the body comparisons with all three body types I have so far...maybe also add a vintage one or too also. So I'll try to get that done in the next couple of days.

So lets take a look at her alternate outfits instead. First the yellow skirt and white crop top with pink lines.





I tried to put the skirt a little lower on her hips but she's so curvy that it just rolls up to her middle so I guess it's a high waisted skirt. I thought it looked kinda boxy in the promo pics but it's actually really cute in person. She comes with just one pair of shoes and purse for the two extra outfits, bit it's okay because the sneakers allow her to stand all by herself so she'll be wearing them a lot.

The fact that both outfits consist of two pieces allows for some mix and matching. Here she is with the white top and the black skirt from the other one.




The skirt is sparkly! I couldn't tell that in the box but that's pretty cool. It's a little see through though so she needs to be careful with that back light.

The black and white stripped top is my fave piece and I would like one in my size so I can wear it with leggins, thank you very much.


 I don't think you can see it too clearly on the photos but there is pink stitching on the top that matches the sneakers and purse.

I was wondering if the top would work as a dress by itself but that slit is too damn high.


I need to give her a name, I don't want to just keep calling her Curvy Barbie. Maybe Carmen? I'm not sure.

Her shoes and purse are transparent jelly like type and I just happened to have this soap box I got at Walmart to make a suitcase from a tutorial I saw on Pinterest and all her things fit in perfectly, even the hat, so that was a good thing too.


I'll post the finished product once I add the wheels and handle, but even as is it's a pretty good start.

That's it for now. I'll be back soon with Petite review and size comparisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment