Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Barbie Fashionista new body comparisons - Curvy, Petite and Original


So far I have two out of the three new Barbie bodies so it's time to answer the question on everybody's mind: just how different are the bodies. Right off the bat I'll admit I should have taken more pictures, I should have taken better pictures, but that can still happen later, right now we are going for instant gratification.

For our comparison we have a regular pink box Barbie with the classic high heel feet, a curvy fashionista with flat feet and a petite fashionista with high heel feet. So if you consider that all dolls come with either high heel or flat feet, four body types and a ton of new hair and skin colors, that adds up to all the different looks. I'm really loving that now a Barbie collection can look like a group of assorted people instead of an army of clones.

BTW, I'm sure you noticed Curvy up there found herself a new dress, more on that on the next post about just which clothes can she fit.

So on to the nudity so we can see what we are dealing with:



Curvy looks pretty short in comparison to Original, but is still taller than Petite. You can see this better in the clothed picture.
Notice all the different skin tones, which I think is pretty cool. But back to the actual molds and not the color of what got molded. They all have completely different torso lengths. Original Barbie is a lot more elongated, where I think Curvy and Petite have more natural proportions. The more I look at original, next to the other two, the weirder she looks....I don't mean she's off putting or anything, but it's certainly more obvious to me now than when she was the only body type. I was never one of those people that had an issue with Barbie's proportions. Even as a child I knew she was mean to be a caricature of a woman, not an actual scale model.But now that there are different shapes, I find it very fun.
Here's a closeup of the torsos.

You can see Curvy lives up to her name but I was glad to see that Petite has the body of a small woman and not just a skipper body with high heel feet like I feared. She has smaller boobs and a smaller frame in general but she still have a little bit of curves. I have a special fondness for Petite since that's been my body type for pretty much my entire life, even though I have to admit now that I'm older you might have to stick a bit  Curvy's hips on her to make her look more like me. 

A lot of people have been calling Curvy "fat" but she's about as fat as a plus size model which is to say not really fat, just thicker. I like that her face is fuller and her ankles are thicker so she's pretty well proportioned. She is by far my favorite I'm not sure if it's because she's so different to other fashions dolls or because there is so much detail to her. Probably a combination of the two. 

I like how thick her thighs are, and if you notice, Petite's are thicker than Barbie's too. The cool thing about these dolls is that they have more "human" proportions without looking dumpy, which is a problem I have found with other attempts like Lamilly or Happy to be Me dolls. 
 
A word on that molded underwear: On the one hand I like thatthey have underwear on, specially since they often wear short skirts, and I do recognize that actual underwear is too bulky and then you can't fit clothes in top of it... but the molded pattern, unpainted so it's the same color as their skin makes it look like they have some weird rash.


I know there's more play-ability in leaving it a nude color in case she's ever wearing something where you could see part if the paint (like a bathing suit) but I still end up painting them on a lot of the time. I specially do this with Monster High dolls since they ussually wear the tiniest of skirts.

Well, so that's the end of my overview of the different Fashionista body types. We'll probably revisit the subject later, but right now I'm working on doing a review of Petite and a few Ikea doll furniture sets that I got.

BTW, in case you were wondering, my 10 year old nephew came over the other day and named them Michaela, Alexa and Christina. I'm not entirely sold on Michaela yet, but I think the other two names fit them very well. Alexa is the original and Christina is petite. I thought of using the names in the review but I thought it might just get confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment