Thursday, October 22, 2015

Halloween Fun - Kelly's Li'l Friends


It's my favorite time of year, Halloween! So I thought it was fitting to show some of my Halloween Barbies. The originally idea I was going to show a different doll for each day in October but it's already the 17th so that's not happening.

Anyway, to make up for the last or earlier entries, I decided to start with a 4 doll pack. This set is called Halloween Fun - Kelly's Li'l Friends, as you might have guessed from the title of this post, and it was a Target exclusive in 1999. As you will learn more me, you will find out I need to play with everything and nothing ever stays in it's box. Being that this is a 16 year old toy, that box is long gone so we will not be looking at it right now. We'll go straight to the dolls.


Halloween Fun - Kelly's Li'l Friends
Halloween Fun - Kelly's Li'l Friends

Halloween Fun - Kelly's Li'l FriendsHaloow
We will start with the princess, because I'm sure the kid that wanted to be the princess would probably insist to go first anyway. She's wearing a pretty nice pink dress with iridescent overlay and gold trim. it's nice enough to work as an actual princess outfit and not just a Halloween costume. It is however a little low on the accessories so I added this crown which I got from...somewhere


I realized I forgot to take a close up without the crown, so this counts as your face close up pic too.

She looks like she's wearing a little bit of make up, but not too overdone. Seems appropriate for a little girl on Halloween even though to be honest, Kelly wears that much makeup all the time. It's what happens when you have Barbie as a sister. Her hair is in a nice updo/bun with side swept bangs and she has light pink mary janes with  a molded bow decoration.


Here's another full body picture with her trick or treat bag.


And now we go from a fairly realistic costume to the complete opposite with the witch costume


She looks like she's wearing a very traditional type costume, like something from the 1950's, with the jagged bottom and the pumpkin applique. The only think that makes her a witch is the hat (and the trick or treat bag, I guess) but I like it a lot. It's very retro.

It occured to me while writing this that they don't really make too many costumes like this anymore. It makes sense since t-shirts are pretty much a universal everyday wear so you would wear a pumkin tshirt on October, but not as a costume. Or if you are like me, you wear the halloween tshirts year round, even though I'm more into bats and skulls than pumpkins.

On a side note, even as a child, I found it very stupid when a costume had a picture of who you were supposed to be in the middle of it. Like if you were dressed as Wonder Woman, it would have a picture of Wonder Woman's face on your chest. Why??? I wanted to look like the version of Wonder Woman, who WASN'T  a narcissistic weirdo who  wore her own face as a logo.

But let's get a closeup.


All four dolls came with trick or treat bags attached to their wrists with tiny rubber bands. They have all mostly disintegrated by now, and the witch is the only one who has hers still (somewhat) attached.


and here are all the bags together






I was going to add them side by side but I have no idea how to do that and I'm too sleepy to care right now. So let's check out the next one, which frankly I'm not sure what she's supposed to be.

I think she might be supposed to be a butterfly, but I think she looks more like a moth. Granted, a very glamorous and sparkly moth, but still a moth. It's the wings. Weird shape.
Still cut though... The only thing I don't like about her is those shoes. They really bother me. There's at least 6 colors in that outfit, couldn't they have picked one of those?


Last pic with her bag


And now we've come to Tommy, because he's a gentleman and ladies first. He is a scary skeleton in what looks like onesie pajamas. He has the hardest time standing up since he has no shoes and the seams at the bottom make his feet wobbly. I had to lean him against the backdrop to take the pics, but all the other dolls stand pretty well on their own.


He had a paper skull mask, which I didn't exactly lose, I just have no idea where I put it but I know I didn't throw it out. There were also some other cardboard accesiries but I don't remember what they were. A broom I think? Maybe a crown? I'm just guessing

I have considered doing some sugar skull makeup but he has a cute face screening and some adorable freckles so I feel kinda bad doing it. I have been debating this for 15 years, but I might finally break down and do it with some watercolor pencils so I can always wash it off if I don't like it,


I'm not as fond of his orange lipstick so that part wont be hard to paint over.

And there you have it. This is a really cute set, and I saw a few on eBay while I was trying to figure out what it's name was. It's the one that started my trick or treaters collection too so it's one of my faves.


No comments:

Post a Comment